Howe Motors encourage you to thoroughly check every single used car that you consider purchasing. There is plenty to check – everything from the engine, to steering, to essential paperwork – but one of the things that is often indication enough of the quality of the car is its exterior.
To ensure that you purchase a high-quality car, here are a few tips and tricks;
- An obvious one, but look for any rust, or chips, scratches, and dents to the bodywork of the car.
- Check that all the panels fit perfectly. If they don’t, it may be a sign that the car has been in an accident.
- Check the windscreen for chips and cracks. Even the smallest ones could spread, and could cost hundreds to repair.
- Don’t forget the tyres and spare wheel. The minimum legal tread depth should be 1.6mm across the width of the type. Also, if the tyres are worn more on one side than they are on the other, it’s either a sign that the wheel alignment needs adjusting, or it could be something more serious.
- Excess wear or damage on pedal rubbers, carpets, seats, and trim could be a sign that the car is actually older than it seems.
- Check that all electrics – lights and windows- are working, and try the air-con if it is fitted.
- Watch for excessive exhaust smoke and any odd noises.
These are just a few of the things you should keep an eye out for, though. If you spot anything at all that seems off – no matter how minor – don’t be afraid to ask the company or person that is selling you the car what’s up, and always, always go with your gut.